- Type: Personal computer
- Released: July 23, 1985
- Introductory price: US$1,285 (US$2,900 in 2017 equivalent)
- Discontinued: 1987
- Operating system: AmigaOS 1.0 upto 1.3
- CPU: Motorola 68000 @ 7.16 MHz (NTSC) 7.09 MHz (PAL)
- Memory: 256 KB +256 KB in front bay (8.5 MB max) + (256 KB RAM WCS/Kickstart)
- Resolutions: 320x256 up to 736×567i (PAL)
- Palette: 4096 colors (4096 on-screen colors in "HAM" mode)
- Manufacturer: Commodore
- Sound: 4x 8-bit channels, 28 kHz stereo
- Successor: Amiga 2000/2500, Amiga 500
Released 1985: The Commodore Amiga 1000, also known as the A1000 and originally simply as the Amiga, is the first personal computer released by Commodore International in the Amiga line. It combines the 16/32-bit Motorola 68000 CPU which was powerful by 1985 standards with one of the most advanced graphics and sound systems in its class, and runs a preemptive multitasking operating system that fits into 256 KB of read-only memory and shipped with 256 KB of RAM. The primary memory can be expanded internally with a manufacturer supplied 256 KB module for a total of 512 KB of RAM. In Europe it was always supplied with 512 KB total RAM. Using the external slot the primary memory can be expanded up to 8.5 MB.
My Amiga 1000 and repair: The computer lacked a mouse, keyboard and the Kickstart/Workbench floppies when I first got it. But an A1010 external floppy drive and 1 MB sidecard RAM expansion came with it (in addition to the 256 KB front bay expansion that is always present). I found image files of the necessary Kickstart and Workbench disks and wrote them back to floppies, using my Amiga 1200.
The Amiga had picture on the monitor when turned on, but the internal floppy drive was not registering any inserted disks. I opened the case and found out the switch that register both inserted disks and write protection, was faulty. I replaced the internal floppy drive with the one from the external drive (uses exactly the same drive as the internal Amiga 1000 drive). Now my Amiga 1000 works perfectly and boot floppies.
I also opened and repaired the broken switch from the removed drive. I closed it together, using some superglue. Now both floppy drives are working fine. I’ve got a beat’n up original keyboard for free, it was missing two key caps, and two switches was broke. I got the two missing key caps from eBay complete together with the micro switches (it was not cheap). With those parts, I managed to completely repair the keyboard.