- Type: Laptop
- Manufacturer: Apple Computer
- Released: 02-1991 (M1526)
- Discontinued: 10-1991 (M1526)
- CPU: 68000 @ 16 MHz
- Memory: 2 or 4 MB (expandable up to 8 MB using internal RAM card)
- Graphics: 640 x 400 pixel, 1 bit
- Display: 9.8″ b/w active matrix backlit LCD
- Input: keyboard, trackball
- Internal storage: 40 MB 3.5″ SCSI hdd
- Removable storage: 3.5″ HD fdd (1.4 MB)
- ROM 256 KB
- Dimensions: 4.05″ x 15.25″ x 14.43″
- Weight: 16 pounds (7.2 kg)
- Power: 5 Ah lead-acid battery, AC charger
- Predecessor: Portable (M5120), Mac Plus, Mac SE
- Successor: PowerBook 100/140/170
Released 1991: The Macintosh Portable (M1526) is a revision of the Macintosh Portable (M5120) that was released in 1989. Apple replaced the non-backlit 9.8″ 1-bit 640 x 400 pixel active matrix LCD screen with a backlit display, increased base RAM to 2 MB or 4 MB, and replaced the expensive SRAM (static RAM) chips with less-expensive pseudo-SRAM. On the negative side, battery life was cut to almost half.
My Portable (backlit)
Upgrades and repair:
- Replaced the electrolytic capacitors on the mainboard, both SMD and trough hole.
- Replaced the battery with a 6 volt 4.5 Ah “hobby battery”.